Intel y los nuevos procesadores Skylake

nickeditor

Intel demostró los nuevos procesadores Intel Skylake el pasado IDF 2014: IDF 2014: Intel Demonstrates Skylake, Due H2’2015

Taking place this week alongside the consumer electronics clamor is the annual Intel Developer Forum (IDF) at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Though it has and continues to be first and foremost a developers conference, IDF also offers Intel a chance to unveil new products, and in more recent editions discuss and promote their plans for further breaking into the mobile market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1R0jTs_8Gc

En el IDF 2015 de abril se pudo ver un portatil con los nuevos procesadores Skylake corriendo con Windows 10 y una resolución de 4K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvS3gbsIs8

Se espera que sean presentados en el próximo IDF el 15 de agosto, la hoja de ruta: Intel Skylake roadmap

intel-skylake-schedule.jpg

Fuente

Los procesadores Intel Skylake, conocidos como sexta generación, serán fabricados en 14nm y se espera un salto considerable tanto en cálculo como procesamiento gráfico con un menor consumo

El chipset o PCH desaparece con las variantes H, U e Y

En la S se mantiene el chipset pero el bus pasa de DMI 2.0 (Direct Media Interface) a DMI 3.0 llegando a un flujo de 8GT/s entre el procesador y el chipset

Tendrán soporte para PCI-Express 4.0 y Thunderbolt 3.0

Habrá un cambio con los zócalos (socket) que obligará a cambiar de placa base

La hoja de ruta filtrada:

Skylake-S, socket LGA 1151 (sustituye al LGA 1150)

Intel Core i5-6600K y i7-6700K (agosto)

Intel Core i5-6400, i5-6500, i5-6600 y i7-6700 (septiembre)

Intel Core i5-6400T, i5-6500T, i5-6600T and i7-6700T (bajo consumo, septiembre)

Skylake-H

Intel Core i3-6100H, Core i5-6300HQ, Core i7-6700HQ y Core i7-6820HK (septiembre)

Intel Core i5-6440HQ, i7-6820HQ and i7-6920HQ (octubre/noviembre)

Skylake-U (dispositivos portátiles)

Intel Core i3-6100U, Core i5-6200U y Core i7-6500U (septiembre)

Intel Core i5-6300U y i7-6600U (enero 2016)

Skylake-Y (los Core M)

Intel Core M 6Y30, 6Y54 y 6Y75 (septiembre)

Intel Core M 6Y57 y alguno más (enero 2016)

• 2 months later...

Filtrados algunos datos:

1.png

2.png

3.png

Fuente

Algunas conclusiones:

- Y-Series (MacBook): Up to 17% faster CPU, up to 41% faster Intel HD graphics, up to 1.4 hours longer battery life

- U-Series (MacBook Air): Up to 10% faster CPU, up to 34% faster Intel HD graphics, up to 1.4 hours longer battery life

- H-Series (MacBook Pro): Up to 11% faster CPU, up to 16% faster Intel HD graphics, up to 80% lower silicon power

- S-Series (iMac): Up to 11% faster CPU, up to 28% faster Intel HD graphics, 22% lower TDP (thermal design power)

Fuente

Se espera que lleguen la primera semana de agosto, probablemente los presenten entre el 5 y el 9 de agosto

El 23 de Mayo citabas Septiembre, ¿han sido capaces de adelantarse por una vez :)?

Y otra cosa. Los U e Y aspiran a propulsar tablets y móviles, no sólo portátiles :). Aunque no es nada probable que a Apple le de por experimentar.

Por ahora se cumple el calendario, Intel Core i5-6600K y i7-6700K en agosto: The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Tested

It’s the Intel review you’ve been waiting for. Today is the launch of the first two CPUs from Intel’s Skylake architecture, the 6th Generation Core i7-6700K and the Core i5-6600K. With the new processors we get a new architecture, a new socket, the move to DDR4 and the potential to increase both performance and efficiency at the same time. A lot of readers have asked the question – is it time to upgrade? We had a CPU or two in to test to answer that question.

Combo%20Box_678x452.png

En Arstechnica: Intel’s Skylake Core i7-6700K reviewed: Modest gains from a full Tick-Tock cycle

Today, Intel has taken the wraps off Skylake, the sixth-generation 14nm Core architecture that follows on from Broadwell. Only two desktop chips are being released today: the high-end Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K. The "full" Skylake unveil, including a detailed breakdown of architectural changes and the full SKU line-up (including the all-important laptop parts), will occur at IDF on August 18.

Skylake is technically two full jumps ahead of Haswell, which was released in 2013. For the last decade, Intel has released new processors on a yearly basis, in accordance with its Tick-Tock cadence: one year (the tick) sees a process shrink to smaller transistors and better efficiency, the next year (tock) ushers in a brand new microarchitecture. Intel successfully stuck to the Tick-Tock model until Broadwell, where the shrink from 22nm to 14nm was heavily delayed.

The Broadwell desktop chips never saw the light of day in 2014, and the firm only just managed to officially stick to its plans by releasing some low-power 14nm Broadwell Core M processors at the tail end of the year. Meanwhile, on the desktop, Intel instead released a refresh of its existing 22nm Haswell processor line—the Devil's Canyon Core i7-4790K and Core i5-4690K—which offered nothing more than higher clock speeds over the earlier Haswell models.

Desktop Broadwell chips were eventually released in June 2015, but it was an incredibly low-key affair. These desktop parts—the Core i7-5775C and friends—only had two notable features: a 65W TDP, and Intel Iris Pro 6200 integrated graphics. Unfortunately, when it came to performance, the top-end Broadwell chip was handily beaten out by the previous-gen Core i7-4790K, and it had lower default and turbo clock speeds as well. Although the move to 14nm has allowed for improved battery life in some mobile platforms, the desktop chips were disappointing.

Now, just two months later, Broadwell is being swept fully under the rug and superseded by Skylake, a brand new 14nm chip that promises to actually be faster than Haswell.

skylake-slide-block-diagram-ish-980x551.png

Skylake-Press-Deck-for-K-SKU-Disclosures-FINAL-II-15-980x551.png

Más imágenes en el enlace de Arstechnica

En ninguno, son sobremesa que permiten hacer overclocking, son un anticipo de la nueva arquitectura Skylake

Por no haber no hay más que un chipset, el Z170

Sirven para empezar a testear las mejoras de esta arquitectura como la RAM con DDR4, el bus entre la CPU y el chipset (DMI 3.0) o PCI-E por citar algunas

Podría haber procesadores Xeon para portátiles: Bringing Intel® Xeon® to notebook PCs

At Intel, we’ve been working closely with PC companies for years to deliver high performance workstations that deliver the computing demands of designers, content creators, engineers and architects. If you fall in this camp, you understand that not just any PC will do. You need the right mix of processor performance, memory, graphics and storage that lets you create, test, and deliver solutions. With the increasing popularity of digital creation (4K videos, digital design etc.), more creative professionals and engineers are seeing a need for workstation class capabilities in a portable device. In fact, IDC’s most recent report on mobile workstation usage showed that the quarter ending in June 2015 was the sixth straight quarter of year-over-year mobile workstation unit growth[1].

That’s why Intel is excited to announce plans to bring the power of Intel® Xeon® processors to notebook PCs for the first time. Designed for the professional who needs workstation-class capabilities in a portable device, Intel will soon be launching the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1500M v5 Product Family. This family of processors are based on the next gen Skylake architecture and they will deliver high precision computing horsepower in notebook form factors, delivering the right balance of power and mobility. Intel Xeon-based mobile workstations will have key features such as error-correcting code memory that automatically detects and repairs errors on-the-fly that cause data corruption and system crashes for peace-of-mind reliability. These new systems will also enjoy the benefits of the unique hardware-assisted security, manageability, and productivity capabilities of Intel vPro™ Technology. Mobile workstations featuring Intel Xeon will also feature Thunderbolt™ 3 – the USB-C that does it all. And if that’s not enough, Intel will also provide certifications for applications in computer-aided design and engineering, and digital content creation.

This is just scratching the surface of what to expect from the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1500M v5 Product Family for mobile workstations. We’re not quite ready to unveil all the details, but as you can see there is a lot for content creators, designers and engineers to get excited about. Stay tuned for more and the rest of the 6th Gen Intel Core family based on Skylake architecture.

Hasta ahora los procesadores Xeon estaban destinados a estaciones de trabajo y servidores pero la reducción en el consumo y el calor generado permitiría montarlos en portátiles... según Intel

Entre las novedades: RAM ECC en portátiles

Muy interesantes procesadores para los iMac.

No sería descartable, sobretodo por lo de la RAM con corrección de errores... es bastante probable que dependa del precio y la disponibilidad: si los Xeon son más caros y hay menos es probable que Apple pase de ellos

También la temperatura de funcionamiento...

Siguiendo con Skylake, se ha filtrado información de los procesadores que montarían los MB Air (la serie U): Intel's Skylake Processor Lineup for MacBook Air Unveiled

Details on Intel's upcoming 15-watt 6200U - 6600U Skylake processor lineup were shared today by Fanless Tech, giving us a look at what we can expect from the processors that will likely be used in Apple's next MacBook Air update.

skylake1larger.jpg

The 2.3GHz i5-6200U and the 2.4GHz i5-6300U chips are appropriate for the lower-end MacBook Air models, while the 2.5GHz i7-6500U and the 2.6GHz i7-6600U would be used in the higher-end MacBook Air models. All four chips include Intel HD 520 graphics. With Skylake, Intel has opted to simplify its graphics naming scheme, adopting 3-digit numbers instead of 4-digit numbers.

skylake2larger.png

It is not clear when Intel plans to release the Skylake chips appropriate for the MacBook Air, but with full specs now available, it seems launch is imminent, perhaps planned for next week's Intel Developer Forum.

According to the information available, 28-watt chips appropriate for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will not be launching until 2016. Launch dates are equally unclear for the rest of the Skylake lineup, as today's leak only covers chips that would be used in the MacBook Air.

skylake3larger.jpg

Intel's Skylake processors are expected to offer a 10 to 20 percent boost in CPU performance over Broadwell, plus lower power consumption and improved Intel HD integrated graphics performance. Better energy efficiency will also lead to up to 30 percent longer battery life.

Los próximos procesadores Skylake, que se anunciarán en septiembre, soportarán tres monitores 4K a 60Hz de refresco: Intel's Skylake Chips Will Drive Three 4K Monitors at 60Hz

Intel has shared new details about its faster, more power-efficient Skylake processors at IDF 2015 in San Francisco. PCWorld reports that Intel engineers have suggested the sixth-generation Core processors could launch in around "two weeks," setting the stage for a possible announcement of new chips appropriate for Macs at the IFA Berlin trade show on September 4-9.

Skylake processors will feature improved Iris Pro integrated graphics capable of driving up to three 4K monitors at 60Hz, whereas Haswell architecture could drive a single 4K monitor at 30Hz and Broadwell architecture could handle a single 4K monitor at 60Hz. Skylake will also have fixed-function support for 4K video processing in hardware and support for the latest APIs: DirectX 12, OpenCL 2 and OpenGL 4.4.

por lo visto el nuevo i7 6700 no es mucho mas rapido que los actuales i7

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,review-33276.html

vaya chasco.

¿Donde dice eso? :blink: ¿y de que i7 actuales?

La única comparación es con los Haswell:

The Core i7-6700K has a lower Turbo Boost ceiling than Core i7-4790K. But its superior IPC translates to better performance in most single- and multi-threaded workloads.

Una comparativa (recuerdo que Apple no monta procesadores K para overclocking)

(recuerdo que Apple no monta procesadores K para overclocking)

No los monta con el objetivo de hacer overclocking, pero sí que monta procesadores k.

Si no me equivoco, el tope de gama de los iMac actuales es el 4790k a 4 Ghz (hay que pedirlo como opción). Y en los anteriores era el 4770k a 3,5 Ghz.

Es previsible que si siguen la misma rutina, los próximos iMac monten el 6700k como tope de gama.

De todas formas, la gran novedad en esta nueva generación creo que es el uso de memorias DDR4 y el mayor ancho de banda y flexibilidad del chipset Z170. Pasa de DMI 2.0 (5 GT/s, 2GB/sec) a DMI 3.0 (8 GT/s, 3.93GB/sec), lo que permite ponerles lo último en conexiones (USB 3.1, Thunderbolt 3, M.2 de 32Gb/s,...)

Edited by Jorge

(recuerdo que Apple no monta procesadores K para overclocking)

No los monta con el objetivo de hacer overclocking, pero sí que monta procesadores k.

Si no me equivoco, el tope de gama de los iMac actuales es el 4790k a 4 Ghz (hay que pedirlo como opción). Y en los anteriores era el 4770k a 3,5 Ghz.

Es previsible que si siguen la misma rutina, los próximos iMac monten el 6700k como tope de gama.

De todas formas, la gran novedad en esta nueva generación creo que es el uso de memorias DDR4 y el mayor ancho de banda y flexibilidad del chipset Z170. Pasa de DMI 2.0 (5 GT/s, 2GB/sec) a DMI 3.0 (8 GT/s, 3.93GB/sec), lo que permite ponerles lo último en conexiones (USB 3.1, Thunderbolt 3, M.2 de 32Gb/s,...)

Cierto, el Retina 5K es el primero en montar procesador "K" como configuración base

Oye Nick, tú que estás puesto en este tema, a ver si sabes algo de esto:

He estado buscando los chipsets que usa Apple en los Mac, y no consigo encontrar una respuesta clara sobre si son la serie estándar de Intel para la generación de micros que llevan (en este caso deberían ser Z97 para los iMac actuales, y Z87 o H87 para los anteriores). O, por el contrario, Intel le fabrica un chipset a medida con algunas diferencias.

En la mayoría de sitios donde ponen especificaciones no lo indican expresamente, e incluso en iFixit suelen limitarse a indicar "platform controller hub" sin especificar más.

Pues no podría asegurar si solo es la nomenclatura o realmente es otro chipset (o PCH), por ejemplo el iMac Retina 5K:

· En iFixit dicen que el chipset es el Intel NB430029A00200 Platform Controller Hub, pero por ese nombre no encuentras nada

· El procesador es el Intel Core i5-4690 y las placas que lo montan pueden llevar hasta ocho chipsets distintos

Una manera de saberlo sería usar algún programa que leyera las características del ordenador por si el nombre del chipset es distinto

Es que me choca que esa información no se pueda encontrar con facilidad en internet.

Yo entiendo que si funciona Windows (mediante bootcamp) debería ser un chipset estándar, quizás con alguna función añadida. Y en general toda la plataforma que usa Apple en los Mac deber ser casi una hermana gemela de la equivalente en el mundo PC (básicamente micro + PCH, que juntos son el corazón del sistema). Salvo quizás la EFI modificada de Apple y el SMC, lo demás tiene que ser muy muy parecido.

Quizás instalando Windows se podrían ver los componentes del sistema desde allí con alguna utilidad.

Y después está el tema de los hackintosh, que actualmente necesitan muy poquitos cambios en Mac OS X para funcionar. Esencialmente una EFI que emula a la de Apple (Clover) y una extensión del kernel que emula al SMC (FakeSMC). Después es cosa de periféricos y controladores, que en algunas placas ni siquiera son necesarios pues usan los mismos chips que Apple. Así que la arquitectura de ambos debe ser prácticamente idéntica.

En fin, hablar por no callar :)

No tendría porque, los drivers los aporta Bootcamp y si Intel proporciona un chipset a Apple puede hacer lo mismo con los drivers para este

La prueba mas sencilla seria que alguien que tenga Bootcamp mire si en iFixit aparece el desmontaje completo de su ordenador y ahí el modelo del chipset o PCH, después ejecuta algún programa tipo CPU-Z y comprueba que información le da

En OS X en informacion del equipo también aparece, ¿coincide con la de iFixit?

(o tengo un deja vu o este tema ya se ha tratado)